What are the concrete aspects and organisational know-how?
We would like to make it clear that there is no one right answer, or one right way, to work in an inclusive, artistic environment. Facilitators, dance teachers and youth workers must use their own experience and intuition to decide which path is best for the group of people they have in front of them. This can change depending on so many factors that it is impossible to be given a rule book. These activity sheets are a collection of ideas and examples of what has worked in different situations and circumstances in the past to illustrate possible answers to the questions.
Collective from group discussion
- The organisation and the facilitators are responsible for creating a safe space for the participants to be creative.
- Communication needs to be clear throughout the process – (text-based and verbal communication, alternative accessible communication tools)
- Information available about accessibility (toilets, rules of the space etc.)
- During the process, deciding on the right venue that suits all participants needs – and how do we collect this information about our students?
- Internal communication within the organisation must also be clear (facilitators, producers, volunteers etc), so that everyone understands what has been done to welcome all participants
- Time consumption – Always keep timing in mind, some things will take longer than usual, but it is important that the participants don’t feel rushed.
- Good, open and honest communication at all times
- Create awareness of what’s happening and available and how it’s communicated to the community and society.
- Be attentive to individual characteristics.
Hints/tips for facilitators:
- Organisers should check the work and performing venues before starting the process, not just rely on the fact that are labelled as ‘accessible’
- It is important also to consider the transportation needs before inviting participants. Taxis with ramps etc. – especially for electric wheelchairs.
- To have extra hands available for every/any eventuality
- Volunteers should be informed about respectful communication
- Checklist for facilitators Check_list_accessibility_venue.docx – Google Docs